Ways to Serve
Put Your Faith Into Action!
At Portage Chapel Hill we value faith, family, inclusion, outreach, stewardship, connection, and social justice. You can help demonstrate these values in the community by getting involved in one of the ministries of the church.
Below is a list of service opportunities available for all ages. If you are unable to give of your time, please consider giving financially. To get connected with one of the opportunities listed please contact the church office by calling (269) 327-6643 or email [email protected].
Hands-On Ways to Serve at Chapel Hill
- Facilities – maintenance and upkeep, inside and outside the building
- Office Support – occasional assistance needed for paper production, mailings, art, proof-reading, etc.
- Worship – reading and writing for worship, designing the Sanctuary decor, sacramental ministers, performing in the choir, band, or bell choir
- Transportation – to and from worship, church events, doctors’ appointments, etc.
- Mission Quilters – quilts are made given at no cost to area shelters and community centers
- Children’s Ministry and Youth Ministry – Safe Place certification is the first step to helping out in all places where kids and youth are present
- Hospitality – it’s more than a cup of coffee and a cookie!
- Congregational Care – home visitors, callers, and caregivers
- Meals for Healing – providing meals to help folks out when life’s challenges take priority
Ready to Serve?
Hands-On Ways to Serve in the Community
- Meals-On-Wheels – delivering meals to homebound folks in our community
- God’s Kitchen – free meals are provided at Chapel Hill and other venues
- OutFront Kalamazoo – help plan and implement programs, worship, and study at the intersection of faith and sexuality/gender identity.
- Kalamazoo Coalition for the Unhoused – staffing and supporting warming shelters
- Refugee Resettlement – in cooperation with Bethany Christian Services and Samaritas, welcome, settle and acclimate those coming to this community
- Habitat for Humanity and Kalamazoo Service Project – occasional projects to build, repair lower income housing
Ready to Serve?
Supporting with Gifts
(Beyond gifts and tithes to Chapel Hill)
- Helping Hand Fund – portagechapelhill.org/give
- Wesley Foundation at WMU – https://www.wesleykzoo.org/
- OutFront Kalamazoo – https://www.outfrontkzoo.org/
- Reconciling Ministries Network – https://rmnetwork.org/
- United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) – https://umcmission.org/umcor/
- Church World Service (CWS) – https://cwsglobal.org/
- Special Projects at Chapel Hill and in Community – Reach out to the office to learn more.
Ongoing Ways to Serve
- Engaging in prayer – have your name added to the Prayer Email list
- Offer your leadership at Chapel Hill
- Dare to call out a need you would like to be involved in meeting
- Notice and follow-up when you miss someone
- Write notes of care and compassion