Custodian – Part-time
To apply, please send your resume and three references to Rev. Jess Davenport, at [email protected]
The Custodian is a vital member of the staff of Portage Chapel Hill Church. One of the ways we communicate that “are all welcome” in the space is with a clean and safe environment. The Custodian ensures the space is clean and hospitable. They work with our staff and ministry teams to help Chapel Hill live out our mission of embracing the love and teaching of Jesus Christ and share them with all People.
This will be accomplished in the following ways:
- Maintain clean church facilities by performing weekly duties and routine spot cleaning in all public areas of the building, including entry ways, bathrooms, Sanctuary, Fellowship Hall, offices, kitchens, and classrooms.
- Work with church staff to ensure that all areas are stocked with necessary items. Take inventory of cleaners and other supplies and submit requests when items need to be replenished.
- Observe proper chemical handling procedures when working with cleaning agents.
- Perform maintenance, such as changing light bulbs, restocking bathrooms, light groundskeeping near the entrances of the building.
- Assist with scheduled event preparations and clean up, and opening and locking the building.
- Interact with church staff and visitors in a respectful, positive manner.
- Attend the weekly staff meeting on Mondays for building communications.
- Efficiency – Review existing cleaning systems and processes to determine anything which needs to be changed and improved to become more efficient.
- Attention to Detail – Understand this is a detail-oriented job and those “small things” matter when communicating our hospitality and ministry goals throughout facilities.
- Radical Hospitality – Keen knowledge of a radical hospitality philosophy, customer service principles and practices.
- Self-Starter – This is a job without a supervisor over your shoulder, but the results are very easily visible. Motivated to complete tasks without heavy oversight. Seeking out and researching how to complete cleaning jobs effectively.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills – Have a willingness to serve with a positive attitude, warmth, and hospitality. Willingness to be a team player and flexibility to adjust to needs of a small office.
- Progressive Christian Spirit – Demonstrates an understanding and full support of the ministry, mission, vision, and goals. Exemplify a commitment to diversity and inclusion in all areas of the workplace.
Qualifications for Custodian:
- Ability to lift 50lbs
- Experience or willingness to learn how to use larger cleaning machinery
- Comfort in routinely completing physically demanding tasks- moving chairs/tables, commercial cleaning equipment
- Reliable Transportation
- Co-Pastor who will offer support, guidance, and resources to equip the Custodian in their ministry at the church. Additionally, the Office Manager will coordinate building details with the Custodian.
- 20 hours a week- Sundays 8am-1pm, Mondays 9:30-11am, other hours can be scheduled with flexibility